Have you decided to create your own website but you don't know where to start? Here is the article that can help you!
There are various methods to create a website, in this article we will explain some, free of charge.
The WordPress service is for those who prefer to create a blog or website and it is a free platform.
Just connect to the Wordpress.com website and click on Start here to fill out the registration form and access the configuration of your blog that you can customize with many free styles.
Once you have logged in using your credentials, the work begins!
You will find yourself in front of a WordPress dashboard, in which you can view the latest news, if you click on the sidebar instead, you will have multiple features at your disposal:
- Articles: to create new articles to be published on your site, also being able to manage categories and tags;
- Media: it is a sort of archive that collects the files that you upload to the site such as videos, photos ...
- Pages: to create the pages of your site;
- Appearance: to choose the appearance of your site there are various graphics but if the existing ones do not satisfy you, you can install new graphic themes;
- Plugins: to install new tools that allow you to increase the functionality of WordPress;
- Users: to manage subscribers to your site or change their role;
- Tools: to access the basic features of WordPress;
- Settings: to set the site title and manage general settings such as time, language etc ...
Wix is a free platform that allows you to open a website and manage publications through a CMS, easily and without having to be a code expert.
Opening a site with wix is really simple. The first thing to do is go to the Wix homepage (wix.com) and click Get Started.
Then click on 'I am a new user' and continue.
Once the registration has taken place, you must indicate the type of site you want to open between various categories: blog, photography, music, design ...
Based on the category choice, it will be easier to select the theme template.
Once you have chosen the template, you need to customize the site with your information.
The last phase is that of choosing the domain name, or the URL address through which the site will be accessible online.
Wix offers two possibilities:
- A free option, ie with the free subdomain with Wix. The home page and the site reside in a subdomain of the Wix domain.
- A paid option, i.e. with a custom domain. (example .com or .it)
The next step and also the last step is putting the site online.
Wix offers paid services and free services, but you can upgrade to the Premium plan at any time.
The Wix platform is very useful for small businesses, small business owners and the self-employed.
You may be wondering right now, but what are the differences between Wix and WordPress?
- EASE OF USE
Wix is currently one of the easiest to use site builders on the market. The editor is very intuitive, designed for beginners.
WordPress is known for its extensions and many plugins, but these aren't always that simple to install and implement. Likewise, the entire software requires some technical knowledge.
So clearly Wix has the upper hand thanks to its platform totally designed to be as user-friendly as possible!
Wix has an online store section which is very suitable for small businesses and the options available for taxes and shipping costs are very limited.
With WordPress, however, this section is free, but you have to pay separately for additional services such as the service to manage payments by credit card.
So, for a small online store, Wix is more than enough.
Wix offers good possibilities for creating blogs, it allows you to create categories, tags, schedule posts and highlight them. The post features are discreet, but limited.
Wordpress, on the other hand, has always focused on the creation of blogs, although it is still an excellent platform for creating websites and already includes all the functions you will need such as tags, categories, etc.
Wix offers telephone technical support (in English) as well as forums, articles and tutorials. Even the most technical questions will be answered after a brief exchange of emails.
WordPress simply doesn't offer official technical support. You can find answers to your questions in communities and forums.
With Wix, prices are clear and payments can be monthly, yearly or biennial. There are various packages that include an increasing number of features and services:
Connect your domain (4.50 € / month)
Combo (€ 8.50 / month)
Unlimited (€ 12.50 / month)
Business Basic (for online shops) (17 € / month)
WordPress is technically free. But apart from that, you will have to pay around € 6.50 per month for hosting for a decent service. Prices go up if you decide to buy a theme (40 € - 60 €).
The choice between WordPress and Wix depends a lot on the site site you need.
If you are looking for a more powerful solution with more complex functionality WordPress is better suited.
Wix is much better suited to smaller sites whose content includes a description of the industry, type of business, and contact information.
Wix also offers ad hoc apps for your business, which are especially valid solutions for restaurants, hotels and event services. Finally, it is the right tool for those who are absolutely beginners having a strong technical support, not to be underestimated as it could prove to be a great time saver.
To create your free site via Wix you can click directly on this link and start:
TIPS FOR PLANNING YOUR SITE
- Make a map on a sheet of everything you would like on your site, it is the best way to organize your thoughts.
- Get ideas from other websites.
- Once you have a draft of what you would like on your site, ask for the opinion of experts in the sector.
- If you want to rank well in search engine results, you have to play well with the use of keywords.
THE WEB DESIGN OF YOUR WEB SITE
You don't understand much about design and are you afraid of appearing obvious or exaggerated? Here are some tips for you!
- Use a light or white color for the background.
- Choose striking colors and use Adobe Color if you need it.
- Keep the design clean and tidy.
- Don't use too many fonts.
- Make sure your website can also be viewed on mobile phones.
- If you decide to add photos or images, they must be taken by professionals.
Once you have published your site, you need to take care of it.
1) Update the site: you must create and publish content periodically.
2) Positioning on the web: to get many viewers you have to optimize the SEO of your website.
3) Web analytics: don't forget to always measure the traffic arriving on the site. This way you will be able to understand what is working and what is not. The most popular tool for analyzing traffic on a website is Google Analytics and it's free.
4) E-mail marketing: send mass e-mails to your website visitors so as not to lose them. This technique is widely used by shops or e-commerce.
5) Social media: create social profiles like Facebook or Instagram in order to interact with visitors.
This is a small guide to help you take the first steps in creating your website, for other advice or a free consultation do not hesitate to fill out the contact form. We will be happy to help you with your business!